Thursday, November 27, 2008

Tarot in Christianity

by Celestian

It's interesting to know that many of us who belong to various Christian denominations would be interested in Tarot Reading. Many of my friends who asks for readings are actually people who are very spiritual and devoted to their religions.

This morning I received an email from one of our church members in the US telling me that she is very interested in playing Tarot, but most of the Tarot books she found in the stores are all in divination concepts. What made her interested to ask me is about a series of responses I posted on our church members forum website (not an official church website) regarding Tarot reading. A question was posted inquiring if Tarot is acceptable in our Church. So, I responded that it all depends on how one uses Tarot. I explained further that Tarot is a great counseling tool and it helps and guide the querent to make proper decisions most especially in times of very difficult situations or problems. The principle taught in Tarot is very much the same as the principles taught by all Christian churches.

So, what makes it difficult for Tarot to be accepted in the Christian world? Some reasons could be something about the past history of Tarot when it was mainly used by sorcerers or occultists as a tool for divination. Take for example the story of Aliester Crowley who designed the Thoth Tarot. He was well known in history as a cruel man and a tormentor of animals. He lived a dark life, practiced and have written books on dark magic. We also have the stories of the gypsies who because of their inferior social status in the society used Tarot as one means of earning their livelihood.

All in all, it was not really a pleasant history for Tarot. In fact, if I haven't studied Tarot I would think likewise. So, what makes Tarot interesting to me as a Christian? One quick reason is its arts. Nowadays, there are hundreds of beautifully designed Tarot cards in the market. You can even find some cards specially designed for children (Gummy Bear Tarot), for teenage boys (Dragon Tarot), for teenage girls (Vanessa Tarot), and for the rest of us. There are several Christian themed cards, too. (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/christian.shtml) So, Tarot is now catering and are designed for all ages and people of all walks of life.

Another good reason why I love Tarot is the principles taught in the readings. It teaches common principles to that what all Christian churches teaches on Sunday schools. It teaches us how to shun evil, to make right choices, to seek for spiritual guidance from our spiritual leaders, to free ourselves from all weakedness in order to find happiness in life. These are just few of the many teachings of Tarot.

In common sense, Tarot is actually a spiritual guide for everyone who needs light to shine their paths in times of darkness and sorrow. It encourages us to reach our goals by living a good life. It gives us a sense of direction. It is what the scriptures are all about. Leading us to that Light where we can find joy and happiness in life.

Tarot for me is like a torch that I am carrying when I am enter a dark tunnel. Everything inside the tunnel is illuminated and touched by its light so I could find my way to reach its very end. It is a faithful friend who teaches me to do what is right.

I would sincerely want to hear from you about your own Christian view on Tarot. Cheers.

No comments:

Followers